So you have your business plan. Now it's time to make it official!
Follow the step-by-step guide below to get your business registered and permitted.
1. Contact the City. Find out more about the zoning regulations and where you can locate your type of business. Phone number: 925-372-3514
2. File a Fictitious Business Name Statement. Search the County’s database to ensure that no one else has your business name HERE. Then visit the County Clerk Office conveniently located at 555 Escobar Street in Downtown Martinez to file your Fictitious Business Name Statement. More information and the forms can be found online HERE or contact a staff member at: 925-335-7900.
3. Find your location! Contact Main Street Martinez for information about available space or check our available property listings HERE
4. Obtain your business license with the City. All businesses must have a business license, including businesses operated out of your home. For more information, call 925-372-3568 and visit the City of Martinez website HERE.
5. Obtain a seller’s permit. Contact the State Board of Equalization to obtain a seller’s permit. A seller’s permit is required to selling anything that is subject to State sales and use tax. Phone: 800-400-7115 or apply online HERE.
6. City Permits. Before installing your sign, you must obtain a permit from the City’s Planning Department. If you plan to do any significant build out, you must obtain a building permit from the City’s Building Department. Phone: 925-372-3550
7. Other Permits to Operate. Depending on the type of business you have, you may be required to obtain special permits. Be sure to investigate this thoroughly. Contact the City if you have any questions or need further guidance: 925-372-3514.
Restaurants must have a permit with the following departments:
-Sanitation Verification Approval- (If your building has never been a restaurant before, a fee may apply. We strongly recommend you research this before you decide on your location. Even if your building's last use was not a restaurant it may have been in the past, thus excusing you from this fee. To research your buildings past use, contact Main Street Martinez at 925-228-3577. To apply for your approval call: 925-372-3550 or download the application HERE.